[Bf-docboard] Plans for the Future

Kenneth Styrberg kenneth.styrberg at telia.com
Tue May 31 21:21:52 CEST 2005

Jasper Mine wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think this is total artificial bias to OO, I like the way it is, its
> EASY, obtain cvs, obtain xml editor, goto work, F~ Open Office, it's
> not as open as you think! Get the cvs, get the XML editor, and make
> the docs... what is the problem???
>
> jsplifer

For us that already have a working setup it's no problem, but for those
who wants to contribute with a section and do not have everything setup
for docbook might have some real problems ahead, (at least on a windows
box).
The main problem is that most people tend to like WYSIWYG, so producing
text in Emacs and taking lots of screenshots without seeing the end
result is not what everyone likes, and I think that's why most people
tend to drop off writing for docboard.

So for everyone that wants to contribute I think that any format should
be accepted (at least a known format) by docboard and then we can
convert it to a more suitable format for our needs.

The suggestion of using OO was misleading I should say that we use Open
Document Standard instead and use whatever tools we want; OpenOffice,
ABIWord or whatever.

And finally I got stuck on your last line: ... what is the problem???

The problem is that no one writes documents, so we need to make it
easier for them that haven't started yet to write. It's not for us that
we suggest changing things, it's for all others that see the obstacle of
starting up.

//Kenneth