[Bf-docboard] Conversion of wiki to pdf

Selso DaSilva selsok at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 15:01:50 CET 2005

Funny I was going suggest something similar.
I recently found this for my zarus http://bedic.sourceforge.net/
and now I have a copy of wikipedia on my zarus without being online.

The Idea I had was to reduce the overhead of printing a book
each time a new feature comes out.

The  wiki  would  be  copied to a usb/firewire Flash drive (thumb drive),
and sold at the blender eshop and for two years, people who purchase
the thumb drives could download updates.

Remeber they could always view it online for free.

Why would people buy this
1st The version on the thumb drives would be formatted to give
perfect 8.5" x 11" (us letter) prints , with a margin of  .3 - .5

2nd All images and screen shots would be hi res 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768

3rd This allows for the use of the Help Menu in blender when you are offline
and it could incoorparate a active search help system. ( in the long run
put video tutorial on them)

What is the benifit to the blender foundation (Bf)
1st It save on printing cost for Bf ( and save paper)

2nd After the two years people would  pay $15 - $50 USD to renew the
service.
example - $15 for 1 years, $ 25 for two years, $50 for 5years.

3rd Because all that needed is the flash drive and the converted wiki, the
overhead
cost would be minamal compaired to making a new book each time.

So this is my Idea
I would try to help the best way I can
I would prefer the firewire flash drive
http://www.kanguru.com/fireflash.html because
USB on GNU/Linux works but firewire works better.