[Bf-docboard] Blender 2.40 QuickStart Guide (FINAL)

Stefano Selleri stefano.selleri at unifi.it
Fri Dec 23 08:46:41 CET 2005

Yep, Frèdèric & Pier Luc are doing a great job

>I actually think that the chart is something between a marketing
>brochure and an educative document, since the user needs to be
>'persuaded' to use blender. Look at it this way: if the user got a dry
>list of shortkeys and icons without any stiling, he/she would probably
>not be encouraged to read it.

I'd say this, on this very good point

make the leaflet on two pages, to be printed on both sides of a same sheet
of paper.
If you so wish.

Page 1 is to persuade people to use blender, shiny @ndy
kick-whateveryouwanttokick material

Page 2 is current leaflet, basic crash in Blender course, so that people
attracted by page
1 can really do something after they downloaded blender!

>I find the ink problem a non-argument. That's for poor people, they
>should probably not print at all. If it was a whole book(let) I would
>agree, but this is just a sheet of paper, where a couple of more
>inkspots don't matter that much. Again, it's not a russian technical
>document (nofi). I do agree on the saturation, but it's hard balancing
>between boring and attractive.

I agree

>* The document should be clearly structured, so the user can easily find
things.
Yaya
>* Attention should be drawn to the important things.
Sure
>* The icons should be the actual icons used, not some fancy loose
interpretation
Absolutely
>* It's Blender, don't make it look like a generic document. Style
>consistency comforts the user/reader. What does a Blender logo
>hurt/break?
yep

>Now about the colors. I think that, if I had to choose between your
>greyish blue or blender blue, I would opt for the last for consistency
>and because the greyish blue you used lacks definition in this
>context. However, that particular blue is pretty dark, so maybe blue
>is not a good choice after all. Blender.org also makes use of a lot of
>light-grey tints, perhaps use that if you want to save on ink?
I would go for dark blue anyway, after all is only top bar and titles...
Orange can go too

>About the document size: that's probably caused by the soft drop
Stay below 250k, if you can ;)

Stefano