[Bf-docboard] Re: Meeting Sunday

Rui Campos rcampos at fusemail.com
Sun Dec 18 15:51:19 CET 2005

Hi

> I hope that you are at the very least marginally aware of the work done
by this bf-docboard. Then you'd know about the existing documentation
which has all been migrated from a DocbookXML format to this wiki :
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Main_Page
> Hence no need to set up a new Wiki, just to add and adapt to this one.

I am aware of the effort done by this docboard and I really appreciate
that you did, although the issue with bf-education is slightly different.
This book works much as a reference book, which is great, but at the
bf-education mailing list we are proposing a different kind of approach.

If you could take a look at
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro , this Wiki has a
slightly different approach then the official Wiki. And I think the best
option would be to redo the existing official wiki to a more fun reading,
with videos and focused on the 2.40 series. I don't plan on ditching
nobodies work, just try to work with you guys and make it better.

> Also you'd know that the documentation has become so vast that it is in
great need of restructuration. This should be the first task at hand :
there's no way that info on only the new features of 2.40 would make any
sense by itself ; it has to be integrated in the process of maintening
an up-to-date documentation for any changes of Blender.

I know that, but I think that it should start with the new features in
Blender and then move to restructure the whole.

> You'd learn who are the most active people on this board and how
valuable their leadership and contribution is to the documentation
project. I'd be a shame not to have them onboard simply because you are
in a haste. Announcing a meeting with a single day's notice does not
denote much consideration for people you wish will help you.

I just want to get this started, from the bf-education point of view, of
course it will be discussed further and set up a meeting day and time. It
is just a first step. I won't leave anyone on the side, especially this
team that has put a huge effort on this.

> That would be 'teams' and there may already be everything needed here.

I know that, that is why I decided to also post here and hope to take this
further with you guys.

> And quite a lot of them ! That's a thight deadline : we're likely to
benefit if we set up some priorities.

It is a deadline to keep 2.40 Momentum, and of course we need priorities,
totally agree on that.

> It'll be 10 am here. Not the best of time to free myself from dominical
duties but I'll do my best. Hopefully for you and your project someone
more senior than I will be there too.

Great, if you manage to be there it will be really nice, otherwise I will
make a document with all that was spoken and post on both mailing lists,
so anyone who couldn't make it will be up to date with the discussion.

 > I'll try to get up to speed before the meeting by reading the archives
of bf-education.

That would be great.

Best Regards,

-- Rui --