[Bf-docboard] FDL OCL Noob To Pro and Blender Manual

David Millet david at tellim.com
Sat Dec 17 09:32:47 CET 2005

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately I forgot to look into my crystal ball before starting the
Noob to Pro wikibook.

>While this is long past the time of the original consideration -
>perhaps going FDL should be revisited?  Noob To Pro appears to stay
>far more current regarding the content for the English version,
>whereas for the non-english translations the Blender Manual is far
>ahead.

The plan we've come up with so far (oxigen, Inktvlek, myself, and
others) has been to replace the Noob to Pro book with something similar,
but better, at wiki.blender.org.  Will that actually happen?  We've
locked down write access to wiki.blender.org which means there will be
fewer contributors and contributions, but it also means we have much
better control over the quality of the content.  There's a serious
tradeoff there but I believe that, between the different books that will
be available from wiki.blender.org, we can draw attention away from that
other book and bring it to ours.

One other thing worth mentioning is that we can, by obtaining the
author's permission from the Noob to Pro wikibook, copy contributions
verbatim from Noob to Pro to the new book.  I wrote a lot of those
tutorials, especially the ones from the beginning, and I give permission
for any and all my work to be copied over to be used as at least a
starting point; a lot of other authors would do the same.  The reason I
mention this is that we really have an opportunity to shift everybody's
attention to something new at better at our wiki.

In fact, it's already started :)  Recently I created the first page for
it at http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Books/Blender_3D:_Go_Pro%21

I don't think that changing our license is going to happen, but if it
does, it's my understanding that we would be allowed to copy the entire
thing over, which would be great as well.

>Having the two biggest sources of Blender documentation under
>different open licenses has the potential for lots of headaches in
>that it seems likely there will be lots of inadvertant copyright
>violation with stuff of one license being copied into the book of the
>other.

I think you've identified a real potential headache here, especially
given that both are wikis.  However, I think the potential for problems
on our end is pretty minimal because we now absolutely control who can
edit wiki.blender.org, so we can lock out repeat offenders at our wiki;
how wikibooks.org handles offenders at their site is not our concern.

David Millet aka spiderworm