[Bf-docboard] Meeting Sunday to discuss next movement with education and books for 2.40

Jean Montambeault iaminnocent at videotron.ca
Sat Dec 17 01:43:49 CET 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rui Campos" <rcampos at fusemail.com>
To: <bf-education at projects.blender.org>; <bf-docboard at projects.blender.org>
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 6:51 PM
Subject: [Bf-docboard] Meeting Sunday to discuss next movement with
education and books for 2.40

> Hi,
>
> I am on the bf-education mailing list and many have done some effort in
> trying to take education with Blender a bit further.
>
> I think that lots of people have many ideas and I believe that we should
> get into the action now.
>
> I propose a meeting Sunday 18th at 15:00 GMT (same time as blender
> weekly meeting) and start a talk about this issue over IRC on
> irc.freenode.net (or chat.freenode.net) channel #blendercoders and
> eventually move to channel #bfeducation after some decisions have been
> made.

I hope that you are at the very least marginally aware of the work done by
this bf-docboard.
Then you'd know about the existing documentation which has all been migrated
from a DocbookXML format to this wiki :
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Main_Page
Hence no need to set up a new Wiki, just to add and adapt to this one.

Also you'd know that the documentation has become so vast that it is in
great need of restructuration. This should be the first task at hand :
there's no way that info on only the new features of 2.40 would make any
sense by itself ; it has to be integrated in the process of maintening an
up-to-date documentation for any changes of Blender.
You'd learn who are the most active people on this board and how valuable
their leadership and contribution is to the documentation project. I'd be a
shame not to have them onboard simply because you are in a haste. Announcing
a meeting with a single day's notice does not denote much consideration for
people you wish will help you.

> The scope of the meeting is to gather a team that can put some effort on
> getting all the new things in Blender 2.40 into a wiki (and work as
> future effort for a book) and do all possible translations.

The wiki is already there and translations already underway or completed.

> I think a team must be defined of people willing to commit some time to
> get this Documentation done and be ready as soon as possible. And also
> another team for translations.

That would be 'teams' and there may already be everything needed here.

> I am willing to commit myself to this cause and try to achieve a tight
> deadline of end of February to get all new features in Blender 2.40
> fully Documented and available in a Wiki with several tutorials, videos
> and Q&A (Questions and Answers) with it.
> But to meet this Deadline and have it all translated to at least
> Portuguese, Spanish, French and Dutch, I will need also more people
> involved and willing to do this with me.

And quite a lot of them ! That's a thight deadline : we're likely to benefit
if we set up some priorities.

> Hope to see you all next Sunday.

It'll be 10 am here. Not the best of time to free myself from dominical
duties but I'll do my best.
Hopefully for you and your project someone more senior than I will be there
too.

I'll try to get up to speed before the meeting by reading the archives of
bf-education.

Regards

Jean