[Bf-docboard] A blender FAQ

Stefano Selleri stefano.selleri at unifi.it
Mon Dec 5 13:37:00 CET 2005

Hi!

yep, there was no objection to add a FAQ, but I was believing you were
adding a
conventional FAQ... I mean, a FAQ should have questions whose answer is not
clearly evident to anyone simply browsing the documentation/wiki

If I check your page there are true FAQ, some Semi-FAQs and some
totally-non-FAQs

To the first class the 'Errors' question belongs, these are trully question
which aften are found on foruums

To the Semi-FAQ question there are questions whose answer are not
immediately evident in the documentation... but are threre... but which are
worded wrongly.

" How do I make dupliverts and dupliframes objects real?"

Is badly worded... it assumes that who asks already *know* that it is
possible to make dupli reals... a "Is it possible to make dupli reals" would
be better

Or

" What happened to the render daemon?"

Again... it assumes the newbie knows what the render demon *is*... a
"can blender do distributed rendering" would be better

Then there are the totally Non-FAQ, these are fake questions. For an user to
search the Doc or to browse the FAQ is a single action (In my opinion) And
if searching the FAQ leads to the same results that searching the DOC then
the FAQ is useless.

Many of the FAQ you inserted falls in this category

"How do I extrude" is useless, read the manual, there is a sectuion on
Extrude!

" How do I use the screw button?" is useless... you want a How do I use the
XXXX button for every button? Each button is or should be documented in the
manual.

"What is the Sequence Editor?" read the Sequence Editor Chapter!

That was my point I'd love to discuss with you interactively :)

In a nutshell:

1 - FAQ is a great idea
2 - FAQ should be slim, and containing... well FAQs!
3 - Hence, take a little time, browse Elysiun Question forums all of them
     look atround, you will often meet questions to which people answers
     "THis question has already been asked etc. etc."
     Now, this is a possible FAQ!
     Check the doc, is there a simple immediate answer to the question or
must the
     newbe/user check two or more *separate* portion of the doc to get a
complete picture?
     In the second case you have a real FAQ!

     Add it to the wiki (with answer)

Your current project is too wide and tends to be too much a duplicate of the
doc.

Of course, let me repeat it, a FAQ is very welcome and your contribution
too!

Stefano