[Bf-docboard] Planning

Martin Middleton bf-docboard@blender.org
Sat, 01 May 2004 15:07:27 -0400

--=====================_1914968==.ALT

At 02:34 AM 4/30/2004, you wrote:
>Hi!

[text snipped]

>BUT
>
>If you are a conversion expert, I have a question :)

I'm afraid I'm far from being an expert, I've simply had to write a lot of
documentation in DocBook.

While I've done most of my XML work under Linux, I've been doing a lot of
it  under Windows lately. As a result I've been looking at a number of open
source non-cygwin approaches to generating DocBook. I say non-cycgwin only
because not everyone wants to install cygwin just to do DocBook. As a
result, my PDF generation doesn't go through LateX.

As you've been incorporating the new manual pages into CVS, I've been able
to successfully build HTML versions, both as a single long page, and in the
chunk style you currently use to generate the HTML version of the manual.
I'm still working through some PDF issues, but they're not related to LateX
capacities.

>THe Python group is using epydoc for Python API doc, I would like
>to include it in the Online doc as an organic part, not as an external object.
>
>epydoc traslates to HTML and PDF directly, without passing through
>DocBook :(
>
>I found a java DocLet translating HTML to XML so I can take the HTML generated
>by epydoc and convert it to DocBook BUT:
>
>1 - Result is quite poor

Is the HTML generated by epydoc of poor quality, or is it the result of
converting the HTML to XML?

>2 - THe resulting XML generates a (poor quality) HTML but does NOT
>generate a PDF
>     because LateX capacity are exceeded (sorry)
>
>Hence I'm still in trouble for this.
>
>Ideal thing would be an epydoc -> DocBook converter but any other
>suggestion is welcome :)

I'll look into this. If I come up with a solution, I'll let you know.

BTW, at some point I'll finish writing up the chapter on how to install a
DocBook environment under Windows. Originally, this was planned to be in an
appendix, but maybe it should go into the new blender3d.org section?

>Thanx for kind words & offering
>
>Stefano

- martin
--=====================_1914968==.ALT

At 02:34 AM 4/30/2004, you wrote:<br>
[text snipped]<br><br>
question :)<br>
I'm afraid I'm far from being an expert, I've simply had to write a lot
of documentation in DocBook.<br><br>
While I've done most of my XML work under Linux, I've been doing a lot of
it&nbsp; under Windows lately. As a result I've been looking at a number
of open source non-cygwin approaches to generating DocBook. I say
non-cycgwin only because not everyone wants to install cygwin just to do
DocBook. As a result, my PDF generation doesn't go through LateX.
As you've been incorporating the new manual pages into CVS, I've been
able to successfully build HTML versions, both as a single long page, and
in the chunk style you currently use to generate the HTML version of the
manual. I'm still working through some PDF issues, but they're not
related to LateX capacities.&nbsp; <br><br>
doc, I would like<br>
to include it in the Online doc as an organic part, not as an external
object.<br>
without passing through<br>
DocBook :(<br>
so I can take the HTML generated<br>
by epydoc and convert it to DocBook BUT:<br>
Is the HTML generated by epydoc of poor quality, or is it the result of
converting the HTML to XML?<br><br>
quality) HTML but does NOT generate a PDF<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; because LateX capacity are exceeded (sorry)<br>
converter but any other suggestion is welcome
I'll look into this. If I come up with a solution, I'll let you
know.<br><br>
BTW, at some point I'll finish writing up the chapter on how to install a
DocBook environment under Windows. Originally, this was planned to be in
an appendix, but maybe it should go into the new blender3d.org
section?<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
- martin</font></body>