[Bf-docboard] Editing the Blender Documentation

Stefano Selleri selleri at det.unifi.it
Fri Dec 10 08:45:27 CET 2004

Hi!

  Stefano Selleri wrote:

Hi!

welcome, at this point you are *already* involved :)

Blender Doc is quite a big project so we have actually three
main activity streams (threads? :) )

1 - Spell/Grammar checkThis is the part I would be / am best at.

Ok, cool :)

2 - Upgrade existing doc to new blender version
      top of each chapter section there is, in italics, the Blender
      version which was the latest when the chapter/section was written,
      some are 3-4 blender version old and really need updateDoes this mean updating screen shots also?

Yup, many panels have changed so many screenshots needs re-taking,
this is a delicate matter for PDF production. We need PNG files (lossless)
at 72 or 100 or 150 or 200 or 250 or 300 dpi (which are
28,39,59,79,98,118 pixel per centimeter) so that image is not more than 5.5 inches
or 13 cm wide.

3 - Documenting new blender features
  Nope. I don't know enough about the existing features.  :)
  Hehe

Point 1 has main person in EricOk.

For Point 2 and 3 refear refer to me, Kenneth is doing a lot of work in point 3

For what concerns 'how' if you can set up a working DocBook environment and
a CVS client,How do I go about doing that?

For docbook, I'm an old fashined guy, so I use emacs and write in all, the docbook specs ar public domain, my favourite source is this http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html-ng/docbook.html I use DocBook on Linux, and distros have it already built in,
for windows I can't tell

For CVS you can use WinCVS but I use tortoiseCVS http://www.tortoisecvs.org/
which, on the other hand, is windows based (hybrid machine ;))

 so you can be constatntly constantly updated. Your modifications/adds
should be posted here for committers (Eric and me) to handle.
Hehe, this was not going to go in the doc ;) Stefano