[Bf-docboard] Documentation ToC problem?

Frank Foeth bf-docboard@blender.org
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 20:56:01 +0100

Hello,

My apologies for writing this early, I only joined a couple of days ago,
but I am tempted to write up some notes I am very slowly assembling on
the use of blender, which I recently started to learn. However, there
doesn't seem to be a proper place to put them in the proposed table of
contents. And this seems to be the platform to deal with it.

Two topics I came across pose most trouble:
- The subtleties of the 3d window, i.e. fly mode, using arbitrary axis
- Size, Rotate & Grab. These have a lot of sub-functionalities that take
quite a lot of text to even summarize. Moreover they are active both in
edit mode and in normal mode. Also they affect all object types and even
vertices in approximately the same way.

I feel that the first topic should not be part of the introduction, as
this is directed towards a broad overview. The title of the second
chapter would allow for it (Linear 3d), but all the current sections
exclude it. A camera introduction is also missing in this chapter. The
third chapter (interactive 3d) is not suitable. And I feel the subject
is too important for an Appendix.
As the camera is missing anyway, perhaps a new first section of chapter
2 which discusses all 3d viewing windows and camera use is worth
considering?

The SRG problem is tricky. To deal with it you need both a viewport and
any type of object. Their use in vertex editing poses no great problems
though; the obvious place is 'Edit mode' for mesh vertex editing and it
is quite easy to incorporate them in the curves and surfaces subsection.
But that would not do much justice to e.g. translation and rotation of a
spotlight. Maybe a section on object placement is in order, which also
introduces the difference between world and the elusive local axis?

I hope these thoughts are useful.

Frank Foeth (frankf)