[Bf-docboard] Re: Bf-docboard digest, Vol 1 #80 - 7 msgs

Kiernan J Holland bf-docboard@blender.org
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 02:36:07 -0700

Sorry guys if I cc'd the same mail last message I sent.. I thought I
would
comment on on use of linux. I have never been able to get any card
to work perfectly the first time, although I think Linux is a great
development
environment for software and running servers, I've never had the patience
do much more than that myself and my job involves doing development work.

I prefer windows because all my favorite apps are there. I use Cygwin
for my shell environment in Windows. In Linux I use the CORBA based GNOME

environment, but have yet to actually do something CORBA based in it.
I use VNC to manage my remote services, in windows, and the remote
services
usually are on linux machines. Open source for me just means I can get it

on Windows or linux, if I can't get it on Windows, it doesn't benefit me
much.
I think Microsoft stands something to lose from open source and consumers

gain. Open source allows users to exist and do what they want no matter
what latform they are on, and at the very leat access those applications
if the platform should fail to exist, to at least use linux. Linux, and
open source I
see as the fire beneath Microsoft's grilled buns, but I don't see linux
as
the replacement for Windows, at least not until all card developers learn
that
plug and play is not something Microsoft does for them and until the
developers
of linux realize that users are people too. Until then all the linux
evagelists are
spreading rumors that will just be hurting them more than helping.

I heard that Linux had a major existence in Digital Domain studios from
one magazine while in another the story was that they couldn't get their
users to stop using Maya on Windows, their major praise for linux is that
it was a
close releative to SGI's IRIX and they could save some money by
using Linux instead of SGI. Is this what Open Source is getting us?
Think about this from a developers point of view.. If you develop
software as a product, open source works against you, if you develop
software as a service it works for you, so in essence the days of
million dollar selling applications are coming to an end.

Here's to a great future in technological plumbing!!