[Bf-docboard] 3D Concepts & Fundamentals Rough Outline

Jason Oppel bf-docboard@blender.org
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 22:15:05 -0500

Yes, limited space and the scope of the chapter is also a major concern of =
mine as well.  Certainly one would be able to write a rather large book j=
ust on the topics I have listed in the first chapter.  The sections will =
have to be *very* succinct and to the point.  We'll have to hit the high =
points and gloss over other topics with a reference linking to the Founda=
tion web site (or to material included on a CD that would come with the b=
ook) where one could learn more if they choose to.  This would serve to g=
ive the reader an understanding of 3D topics "a mile wide and an inch dee=
p" so to speak. I think a cursory understanding but sound grasp of basic =
3D fundamentals is just about right when someone is first starting out.  =
If we find that we have too much content we could always trim things a bi=
t and put them online (or on the CD) after we're through editing.

I don't think we should discount the fact that Blender will likely get a ve=
ry substantial amount of users who are completely new to 3D modeling.  Th=
e fact that Blender is free, very capable and completely without annoying=
 watermarks or other limited functionality will help attract more than it=
s fair share of 3D newbies.  One of the really great things about Blender=
 (especially now that its Open Source) is that it opens the world of CGI =
to the general computing public.  Let's try to make sure those gates are =
swung open as wide as possible.  With that in mind wouldn't it be a good =
idea to as much as possible not make any assumptions about the nature of =
our users? :-)

Just my 2 cents.

-Jason <Pato>

P.S. I hope no one takes this email the wrong way (as a flame) as it certai=
nly wasn't meant in that spirit. :-)