[Bf-docboard] Linux/Windows installation content

Alex Heizer bf-docboard@blender.org
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 20:13:22 -0600

--------------010801090109010305030809

Karsten Dambekalns wrote:

>On Son, Jan 05, 2003 at 10:30:52 -0600, Alex Heizer wrote:
>
>>Cool work!
>>
>>On Linux, you can also open Nautilus or Konquerer and navigate to the
>>blender folder and double-click the "blenderpublisher" icon, for those
>>of us as lazy as I am.  :)
>>

>See attached diff...
>
>Anyone using KDE or Gnome? The part about adding this to the menus is
>still missing.
>
>Regards,
>Karsten

Here it is. The formatting may be a little inconsistent. I'm sick this
evening, so it's hard to concentrate.

Alex

To add program icons for Blender in KDE:

1. Select the "Menu Editor" from the System submenu of the K menu.
2. Select the submenu labeled "Graphics" in the menu list.
3. Click the "New Item" button. A dialog box will appear that prompts
you to create a name. Create and type in a suitable name and click "OK".
"Blender", "blenderpublisher" and "Blender 2.25" would be logical
choices, but this does not affect the functionality of the program.
4. You will be returned to the menu list, and the Graphics submenu will
expand, with your new entry highlighted. In the right section, make sure
the following fields are filled in: "Name", "Comment", "Command", "Type"
and "Work Path".
    The "Name" field should already be filled in, but you can change it
here at any time.
    Fill the "Comment" field. This is where you define the tag that
appears when you roll over the icon.
    Click the folder icon at the end of the "Command" field to browse to
the blenderpublisher program icon. Select the program icon and click
"OK" to return to the Menu Editor.
    The "Type" should be "Application".
    The "Work Path" should be the same as the "Command", with the
program name left off. For example, if the "Command" field reads
"/home/user/blender-publisher-2.25-linux-glibc2.1.2-i386/blenderpublisher",
the "Work Path" would be
"/home/user/blender-publisher-2.25-linux-glibc2.1.2-i386/".
5. Click "Apply" and close out of the Menu Editor.

To add a link to Blender on the KPanel, right-click on a blank spot on
the KPanel, then hover over "Add", then "Button", then "Graphics", and
select "Blender" (or whatever you named the menu item in step 3).
    Alternately, you can navigate through the "Configure Panel" submenu
from the K menu, to "Add", "Button", "Graphics", "Blender".

To add a Desktop icon for Blender, open Konquerer (found on the Panel by
default, or in the "System" submenu of the K menu) and navigate to the
blenderpublisher program icon where you first unzipped it. Click and
hold the program icon, and drag it from Konquerer to a blank spot on
your Desktop. You will be prompted to Copy Here, Move Here or Link Here,
choose Link Here.

To add program icons for Blender in GNOME:

1. Select "Edit menus" from the Panel submenu of the GNOME menu.
2. Select the "Graphics" submenu, and click the "New Item" button.
3. In the right pane, fill in the "Name:", "Comment:" and "Command:"
fields.
    Fill the "Name:" field with the program name, for example "Blender".
You can name this whatever you'd like, this is what appears in the menu,
but does not affect the functionality of the program.
    Fill the "Comment:" field with a descriptive comment. This is what
is shown on the tooltips popups.
    Fill the "Command:" field with the full path of the blenderpublisher
program item, for example,
"/home/user/blender-publisher-2.25-linux-glibc2.1.2-i386/blenderpublisher"
4. Click the "No Icon" button to choose an icon. There may or may not be
an icon for Blender in your default location. You can make one, or look
for the icon that goes with KDE. This should be
/opt/kde/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/blender.png. If your
installation directory is different, you can search for it using this
command in a Terminal or Console:
    find / -name "blender.png" -print
5. Click the "Save" button and close the Menu Editor.

To add a Panel icon, right-click a blank area of the Panel, then select
"Programs", then "Graphics", then "Blender". Alternatively, you could
click the GNOME menu, then select "Panel", then "Add to panel", then
"Launcher from menu", then "Graphics", and "Blender".

To add a Desktop icon for Blender, open Nautilus (double-click the Home
icon in the upper-left corner of your Desktop, or click the GNOME menu,
then "Programs", then "Applications", and "Nautilus"). Navigate to the
folder which contains the blenderpublisher program icon. Right-click the
icon, and drag it to the Desktop. A menu will appear asking to Copy
Here, Move Here, Link Here or Cancel. Select Link Here.

--------------010801090109010305030809

<head>
</head>
Karsten Dambekalns wrote:<br>
Here it is. The formatting may be a little inconsistent. I'm sick this evening,
so it's hard to concentrate. <br>
Alex<br>
------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
1. Select the "Menu Editor" from the System submenu of the K menu.<br>
2. Select the submenu labeled "Graphics" in the menu list.<br>
3. Click the "New Item" button. A dialog box will appear that prompts you
to create a name. Create and type in a suitable name and click "OK". "Blender",
"blenderpublisher" and "Blender 2.25" would be logical choices, but this
does not affect the functionality of the program.<br>
4. You will be returned to the menu list, and the Graphics submenu will expand,
with your new entry highlighted. In the right section, make sure the following
fields are filled in: "Name", "Comment", "Command", "Type" and "Work Path".
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The "Name" field should already be filled in, but you can change it here
at any time. <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Fill the "Comment" field. This is where you define the tag that appears
when you roll over the icon.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Click the folder icon at the end of the "Command" field to browse to
the blenderpublisher program icon. Select the program icon and click "OK"
to return to the Menu Editor.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The "Type" should be "Application".<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The "Work Path" should be the same as the "Command", with the program
name left off. For example, if the "Command" field reads "/home/user/blender-publisher-2.25-linux-glibc2.1.2-i386/blenderpublisher",
the "Work Path" would be "/home/user/blender-publisher-2.25-linux-glibc2.1.2-i386/".<br>
5. Click "Apply" and close out of the Menu Editor.<br>
To add a link to Blender on the KPanel, right-click on a blank spot on the
KPanel, then hover over "Add", then "Button", then "Graphics", and select
"Blender" (or whatever you named the menu item in step 3).<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Alternately, you can navigate through the "Configure Panel" submenu from
the K menu, to "Add", "Button", "Graphics", "Blender".<br>
To add a Desktop icon for Blender, open Konquerer (found on the Panel by
default, or in the "System" submenu of the K menu) and navigate to the blenderpublisher
program icon where you first unzipped it. Click and hold the program icon,
and drag it from Konquerer to a blank spot on your Desktop. You will be prompted
to Copy Here, Move Here or Link Here, choose Link Here.<br>
    <b><br>
To add program icons for Blender in GNOME:</b><br>
1. Select "Edit menus" from the Panel submenu of the GNOME menu.<br>
2. Select the "Graphics" submenu, and click the "New Item" button.<br>
3. In the right pane, fill in the "Name:", "Comment:" and "Command:" fields.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Fill the "Name:" field with the program name, for example "Blender".
You can name this whatever you'd like, this is what appears in the menu,
but does not affect the functionality of the program.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Fill the "Comment:" field with a descriptive comment. This is what is
shown on the tooltips popups.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Fill the "Command:" field with the full path of the blenderpublisher
program item, for example, "/home/user/blender-publisher-2.25-linux-glibc2.1.2-i386/blenderpublisher"<br>
4. Click the "No Icon" button to choose an icon. There may or may not be
an icon for Blender in your default location. You can make one, or look for
the icon that goes with KDE. This should be /opt/kde/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/blender.png.
If your installation directory is different, you can search for it using
this command in a Terminal or Console:<br>
5. Click the "Save" button and close the Menu Editor.<br>
To add a Panel icon, right-click a blank area of the Panel, then select "Programs",
then "Graphics", then "Blender". Alternatively, you could click the GNOME
menu, then select "Panel", then "Add to panel", then "Launcher from menu",
then "Graphics", and "Blender".<br>
To add a Desktop icon for Blender, open Nautilus (double-click the Home icon
in the upper-left corner of your Desktop, or click the GNOME menu, then "Programs",
then "Applications", and "Nautilus"). Navigate to the folder which contains
the blenderpublisher program icon. Right-click the icon, and drag it to the
Desktop. A menu will appear asking to Copy Here, Move Here, Link Here or
Cancel. Select Link Here.<br>

--------------010801090109010305030809--