[Bf-docboard] less graphics

Bart Veldhuizen bf-docboard@blender.org
02 Jan 2003 21:22:50 +0100

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 20:58, Alex Heizer wrote:

> The thing I was concerned about was more about establishing a few
> standards before everyone makes their 20 million screenshots and
> renders. In the last PDF I downloaded from the sources, there were
> already around 70 images, and most of the pages don't have their
> images yet. Once the standards are set, you can make whatever format
> you want. It's a lot easier to make a 5k PNG from a 10MB EPS than the
> other way around, so you make printable images the default, then scale
> and compress a version from that for Web or a PDF.

You're absolutely right. I'm not sure yet on how to proceed with that.
Do you think that a combination between Stefano's styleguide and your
remarks earlier would be enough for the time being?

> As for the design, I'm okay with content, but I can do design and
> graphics. So, even though I can work on some sections, once I get done
> with those the only thing I could contribute is design. But that's not
> so important at this stage, I agree, just wanted to let you know why I
> was pushing the design. :)

Yessir! Noted :)

> But this is the stage we need to be worrying about the graphics, so
> that people will only have to do something once. Rather than have the
> images generated on the fly from a .blend file, it may be easier in
> the long run to have someone do all the graphics work, making the
> images, since I'm not sure you can automate cropping to make it look
> good 100% of the time. Having someone spending a little extra time in
> the beginning could save a lot of time and effort if it ever does get
> to be more than just on a Website (meaning PDF or print).

Hrms... Well, I liked the idea but I fear that you may be right..
Anyway, the same argument would apply here: let's get the content right
first and then worry about a fancy .blend->image generator. (I hate it
when I use my own arguments against me ;-)

Bart

--
Bart Veldhuizen <bart@vrotvrot.com>