[Bf-docboard] less graphics

Alex Heizer bf-docboard@blender.org
Thu, 02 Jan 2003 09:22:10 -0600

--------------020108050301030806010708

Hey Bart,

Bart Veldhuizen wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>
>On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 20:06, Alex Heizer wrote:
>
>I think this is a great proposal! It has only partially been described
>in the Style Guide (see the link I sent earlier), so any additions that
>you can make to it and to the general documentation process would be
>greatly appreciated. I have included some comments below.
>
>>Matt Ebb and I volunteer to work on this, if that's what everyone wants.
>>I just know from working with both print and Web that you need to take
>>different things into account for each as far as graphics are concerned.
>>What I propose, would be something along the lines of this:
>>
>>1. A set of graphics standards would be set up. This would include
>>conventions for size and content, i.e.: 300x200 pixel JPG at 50%
>>compression for the Web-based and other online documentation; 300x200
>>pixel JPG at 90% compression for a high-res PDF; and  2"x1.5" 300dpi
>>CMYK EPS for the print version. The image would contain only the 3D pane
>>for examples, or the button pane for settings.
>>2. Any screenshots would be done as large as possible, and any
>>renderings would be done to take into account finished output size, for
>>example, 1200x1200 for an image that would go on the printed page at a
>>finished size of 4"x4".
>>3. Someone (an individual or team of individuals) would collect the
>>images, process them according to the standards, and output them in two
>>or three versions with identical content, one for Web, one for print,
>>and one for a high-res PDF. These images would then be returned to the
>>source tree for inclusion in their respective products.
>>

>Better yet, why not ask authors to include .blend files instead of
>graphics? We could automate the rendering of the graphics during the
>make process of the documentation and generate the graphics up to any
>resolution that we like! It may take a bit of figuring out how to
>indicate cutouts and such, but I think it is doable.

That would be a great idea. If authors cared about the particular
layout, they could make a lo-res screencap or render to show what they
wanted and send it with the .blend file.  That could be one of the
things specified in the standards.

>>4. Someone (an individual or team of individuals) would come up with a
>>cool, professional design that would showcase blender as a great program
>>that talented people do and should use and be a part of. Since print
>>design is different than Web design, that someone could create a couple
>>of slightly different, but complementary designs that make blender look
>>cool and professional whichever version you're looking at.
>>5. The someone's in points 3 and 4 would coordinate the design and
>>content to make sure it all looks consistent. This could also free up
>>authors to not worry about style and focus on content, since the
>>designers could ensure everything's formatted correctly and maintain one
>>copy.
>>
>>From what I understand, we can do a nice design once for the docbook,
>>which can then be output in different formats, like for a Website or a
>>plaintext version or for print. In which case, we should be able to set
>>up output templates so that when the online version is output it uses
>>the lo-res bitmaps, and when the printed version is output it will use
>>the high-res EPSes.
>>

>That is correct. We need to create stylesheets for each transformation
>of DocBook/XML --> PDF, HTML or whatever. I'm not sure how difficult
>this would be for the PDF version though, but we may be able to find
>someone who likes to dig into this.

I'll work with Matt (I'll see if he's still interested in working on
this) on making a design for the pages (overall layout, etc.)
and make some graphics standards suggestions. We'll make up designs for
a printed book as well as a Web site, which will mirror the printed
design, but be more Web-friendly. If someone who knows more about
working with DocBook/XML wants to help out, that would be cool too.

Alex

--------------020108050301030806010708

<head>
</head>
Hey Bart,<br>
Bart Veldhuizen wrote:<br>
That would be a great idea. If authors cared about the particular layout,
they could make a lo-res screencap or render to show what they wanted and
send it with the .blend file. &nbsp;That could be one of the things specified
in the standards.<br>
I'll work with Matt (I'll see if he's still interested in working on this)
on making a design for the pages (overall layout, etc.)<br>
and make some graphics standards suggestions. We'll make up designs for a
printed book as well as a Web site, which will mirror the printed design,
but be more Web-friendly. If someone who knows more about working with DocBook/XML
wants to help out, that would be cool too.<br>
Alex&nbsp;

--------------020108050301030806010708--