[Bf-docboard] Some edits

Felix Rabe bf-docboard@blender.org
Wed, 01 Jan 2003 13:23:40 +0100

Matt Ebb wrote:
> Keep in mind that Blender (and its users) is cross-platform. EPS and
> SVG are the most open and standard vector graphics formats around,
> and the aim should be to use a format such as these that can be read
> and written across different platforms. While some of the Linux
> software mentioned may be free, it's counter-productive (and still
> vendor lock-in) if we can only use their native formats that can't be
> exported/imported into other programs, especially since many Blender
> users and graphic designers who may be creating the vector imagery
> use MacOS or Windows.

I did not exactly talk about "Linux software", but about free software.
  Just keep in mind that the GNU operating system - the greatest
implementation of the free software principles so far - has been
designed with platform-independence in mind.  It has even been ported to
MS Windows!  (Think of Cygwin...)

Most free software follows this path and is similarly
platform-independent.  Of course, this is not valid for all of it, but
it's still not correct to talk of "vendor lock-in" if you get so many
freedoms along with the code.

> Having said that, I just went to the sodipodi website, which says it
> uses SVG for its native file format.

That's of course the best solution - I simply forgot that there actually
is free software that implements the free standards decently.

But let's see whether the next generation of SVG will still be free
(just an example) - there were only roughly 100 comments last time I
checked the archive containing responses to W3C's patent policy proposal...

Anyway - happy new year!

cu,
Felix