[Bf-docboard] Manual 2.0 html

Ton Roosendaal bf-docboard@blender.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:15:39 +0200

Hi docboarders,

You might have noticed we finally got the 2.0 pdf ready, to sell as a
downloadable product in the e-shop. We've sold almost a 100 now, quite
good! And of course essential to get the bills paid here...

As promised, the raw text/images for the 2.0 book will be offered as
Open Content to the docboard, to integrate with the current
documentation project.
I've got one reason to be a bit reluctant on this however... and that's
because the html version of the 2.0 Guide I received from Carsten is SO
GOOD that it surpasses the pdf in functionality somewhat... especially
when you add a 'search' option to it. I'm afraid that having this
available online will reduce the the pdf sales quite some. To summarize:

2.0 PDF version:
+ search option
+ nicely designed
+ can be printed
- no links to click at
- doesn't suit online browsing

2.0 HTML version
- no search (yet)
- not designed
- hard to print
+ links, makes for easy browsing
+ suits well to browse online

In fact you want both, er!? :-)

My proposal is to find a couple of people in this board who will get
the 2.0 html material now, and work at reformatting and integrating it
in the current documentation system. I guess that might take a month or
so. We then can target end of May as the release of a 'full' Blender
online documentation. With that date, the 2.0 material then will be
officially 'open content' as well. And it gives the Foundation another
month to benefit from the pdf sales.

What do you think of this, and who would be available for this work?

Thanks,

-Ton-