[Bf-cycles] New to Blender development, looking for some guidance

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 08:11:08 CET 2015

Hi,

It's always nice to new people interesting in doing some code for Blender
and/or Cycles!

Getting Blender compiled is almost all you need to start hacking ;) If
you've got particular questions about Blender's internals, those can be
asked in #blendercoders IRC room at irc.freenode.net, you'll have answer
there much faster than in ML. For a blender-specific topics you might also
ocnsider subscribing to bf-committers mailing list,

Getting into code is quite easy by checking on some reports and we've got
plenty of those, see [1]. We also do have Cycles TODO page, see [2].
Perhaps you'll find something interesting/doable for you there.

You can also just start doing modifications and see how this affects on
behavior and so. This is legit enough way to learn stuff. Never be afraid
to do modifications! ;)

[1] https://developer.blender.org/maniphest/
[2] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Source/Render/Cycles/ToDo

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:47 PM, Justin Osial <justin.osial at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone. I'm Justin and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm
> interested in contributing to Blender (specifically the Cycles engine) and
> would like some pointers on where to get started. I already have a strong
> background in C++ and computer graphics (photorealistic rendering
> techniques in particular a la PBRT by Pharr and Humphreys but I'm
> interested in all areas).
>
> I've read as much as I can on the developer page and I'm at the point
> where I can build from source. I've mostly been setting breakpoints and
> stepping through the code during test renderings. I'm starting to get a
> good feel for how everything works but there's still a lot of ground to
> cover. The RNA/DNA system and the shader virtual machine are still pretty
> confusing but I'm not at the point where I feel confident making
> modifications but could anyone recommend some low hanging fruit to work on
> like documentation, minor bugs, etc?
>
> And for specific questions about different functionality is it best to
> post on the mailing list or use IRC?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Justin Osial

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin