[Bf-cycles] Disney paper regarding physically plausible shading models

Matthew Heimlich matt.heimlich at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 21:59:10 CEST 2013

I came across this paper earlier today from Disney regarding the creation
and development of their own physically-based shading model used most
recently in Wreck-It Ralph. It highlights many of the shortcomings of
traditionally known shading models (Oren-Nayar, Ward, Cook-Torrence,
Ashikhman-Shirley, and others) and explains how they went about creating
their own shading model capable of accurately recreating a much wider array
of diffuse/glossy mixed surfaces using intuitive parameters. I had never
seen it before, so I thought I'd share with the mailing list. Very
interesting, and could prove useful in the creation of the Ubershader,
which is essentially what they've created.

http://disney-animation.s3.amazonaws.com/library/s2012_pbs_disney_brdf_notes_v2.pdf

http://disney-animation.s3.amazonaws.com/library/s2012_pbs_disney_brdf_slides_v2.pdf

Enjoy!

Matt Heimlich