[Bf-cycles] AMD OpenCL status

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Feb 22 20:09:08 CET 2012

Hi all,

Just a quick update to show we're making some progress here. We got a
new OpenCL runtime to test from AMD (with fixes which will presumably
be in the next driver release), and for the first time we now got
shading nodes and textures working, which puts this at feature parity
with GTX 2xx cards using CUDA.

The main issue with this still is that compiling uses a lot of memory
(about 6GB when I tested). It's possible to build these in advance and
bundle them as we do for CUDA, so we'll look into getting that set up.