[Bf-cycles] Ideas

David db4tech at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 06:04:13 CEST 2011

Hi development team Brecht & Thomas (sorry don't know everybody's names),

Idea 1:
Since render times can be quite long to clean up indirectly lit areas...

How do you feel about the idea of adding the option of automatic progressive render saves?
A user can choose between either a time value, e.g. once an hour,
or after x amount of sample passes, e.g every thousand passes,
the ongoing render is automatically saved and rendering continues.

Then if there is computer crash, or power-cut, while the computer is left rendering, many hours rendering will not be lost.

The automatically saved image file name, could be same as the .blend file name, plus date & time?

That way, each image name will be unique, without the chance of images being overwritten when a user starts another render with the same .blend file.

Idea 2:

Future render optimizations...

Is it possible to focus sample passes based upon light intensity within a scene,

darker areas receiving more sample passes than lighter areas (which already clean up very quickly)?

If this isn't already happening with Cycles, would it provide a significant speed boost?

Idea 3:

While rendering, trying to close Blender shows a popup warning window in the centre of the screen,

"Blender is currently rendering, are you sure you want to close the program?" Yes/No

I did this by mistake after just over 10 hours of rendering... :(

While closing other open program windows (which were in front of Blender),

I accidentally closed Blender before I had saved the ongoing render.

Idea 4:

Aperture size scale...

'f/ stop' as an option to 'Aperture size', so users can use which they feel most comfortable with?
(Shallow depth of field) f/0.9, f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/3.2, f/4, f/5.6, f/6.3, f/7.1, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22 and f/32 (Depth depth of field).

***

I am presently doing a BA (Hons) and using Blender & Cycles for my Major A,

do you mind if I submit responses as part of my degree work?  Hoping to post my finished render results online.

Thank you greatly for your time and fantastic work producing Cycles and Blender!

David Black