[Bf-cycles] OpenShadingLanguage Questions

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Sat Oct 1 11:49:00 CEST 2011

Hey Brecht,
Can you tell me what are the benefits of the Open Shading Language?
I mean, I know that it is a shading Language and only runs only on the
CPU (thats why we have SVM for the GPU).

But I am wondering, is Rendering with OSL faster? Has it a better
quality? Or is it only beneficial when we can use self written shaders
in the future?

Building OSL on windows is not fun atm, they have not optimized it for
that yet, but I also could not get it to build on Ubuntu x64. Could you
tell me some tips how to compile OSL on Ubuntu x64 for Cycles?

Thanks.
Best regards,
Thomas

--