[Bf-committers] Blender 2.8: Moving modifiers away from DerivedMesh

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Wed Apr 18 12:13:35 CEST 2018

Hey,

On 17-04-18 14:16, Sergey Sharybin wrote:
> One of the design decision for Blender 2.8 was to switch modifier stack
> from DerivedMesh to Mesh.
>
> Here is a rough plan and ideas how to do this:
> https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.8/Source/Modifiers

Just like the current code, that wiki doc makes the distinction between
"Deformation-only" and "Constructive". When working with Alembic
importing this turned out to be a limitation, as in an Alembic file
sometimes the mesh is deformed and sometimes it needs to be
reconstructed from scratch (this can change from frame to frame). In the
current code this distinction is exclusive, that is, a modifier is
either deforming or constructing, but AFAIK can't be both. I just want
to point out that in future code we may want to allow a modifier to do both.

--
Sybren A. Stüvel

https://stuvelfoto.nl/
https://stuvel.eu/