[Bf-committers] Blender dependencies scripts in main repo

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 08:26:28 CEST 2017

Hi,

You can't easily replace install_deps.sh easily with those CMake based
scripts. It is a requirement to use as much as possible packages from main
repository.

As for where to put the files, i don't see a reason to make it additional
folder in build_files, this is what build_environment folder there was
supposed to be used for.

But then, i don't think regular users should ever bother with those
precompiled libraries. From this point of view, adding those scripts to a
blender-dev-tools repo (which is a submodule to source/tools) seems more
reasonable to me.

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 4:17 AM, Ray Molenkamp <ray at lazydodo.com> wrote:

> I have no objections, will this replace install_deps.sh? I have suggested
> merging all platforms
> before but got push back due to install_deps wanting to use as much
> apt-get as possible to
> keep the time needed to fetch the dependencies down.
>
> I'm not sure making it easily available though make has my preference,  I
> can support other
> platform maintainers building libs on windows, but I would lack the time
> to do this for a wider
> user base.
>
> --Ray
>
> On 7/24/2017 5:59 PM, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to get the scripts used to build library dependencies on
> Windows and macOS committed to the main Blender repository. Currently these
> scripts are on GitHub:
> > https://github.com/LazyDodo/blender_dependencies
> > https://github.com/brechtvl/blender_dependencies/tree/apple
> >
> > They could go into build_files/dependencies, and be invoked through
> "make dependencies".
> >
> > There are some code style differences, and various cleanups could be
> done as well. But I would like to know if others agree this is the right
> way to go, before spending time on making a branch / code review. Any
> objections/concerns about this?
> >
> > I've also ported the scripts to Linux, which wasn't a big step from
> macOS. I'd love to have a unified system for all platforms to generate a
> static release binary from scratch, but that's a more complicated
> discussion.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brecht.

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin