[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code update

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Mar 27 19:05:58 CEST 2016

Hi all,

Student submission deadline passed. We had 82 proposals in this year, a real record.
Several proposals were fakes or ineligible though. Typical cases like:

- "Please hire me, I code anything!"
- "You can find my proposal on the ideas list."
- "I will make a game".

And there were a lot of quickly slapped together proposals... but there were also still a lot of good ones too. About half of proposals get careful examination.

The mentors all have access to the backend of the GSoC site and can do reviews or assign themselves as candidate to mentor a student. A student then might get questions or feedback from potential mentors. A mentor might share his/her opinion about the proposal with a student, but not what the others think about it.

No information will be shared with any student about acceptance of their proposal. We also don't talk about the amount of slots Google gives us.

Students - and actually everyone here - will need to wait for April 22nd, when Google announces the official list of accepted student projects!

Laters,

-Ton-