[Bf-committers] The future of FBX and/or other formats in Blender

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Feb 10 16:16:27 CET 2016

Hi Bastien,

Thanks for the notes, I know how much you've been suffering *and* contributing in this area!

Let me share a bit of background info, and provide a translation of Bastien's rant :)

Bastien is already involved since September 2013 to work on FBX. He did a truly amazing job in getting IO on a reasonable working level already. I hear a lot of professionals and studios who are happy with Blender's fbx support.

After over two years of FBX work, Bastien is now our #1 expert in that area. He made a well informed (albeit a bit frustrated) decision that he doesn't further want to develop on it.

His suggestion is just to freeze the support level for FBX (or limit it, like Campbell suggests) and move energy to another and truly open format.

Of course we keep FBX, and if a developer comes by who likes to maintain it or who can bring it up to an even higher support level, then the person is more than welcome (possibly with a development fund grant). Knowing the quality of Bastien's work, then this is not going to be a simple job for anyone. But it could be tried!

(BTW don't forget, Autodesk is not giving out docs or specs, and they change the format at will randomly. We need to reverse engineer the format).

And that is the real main reason for this frustrated situation:
--> Autodesk's persistent refusal to open up FBX as an exchange format <--

It's how Autodesk frustrates and dominates the market. Good for their share holders.

And secondary: why are parties like Epic Games, Valve or Unity not solving it then?
Together they are a 100x more powerful than Blender Foundation. They can start to make nice plugins for Maya and Max for an open format tomorrow. Heck, they could use the .blend format even!

Laters,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute