[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - September 20, 2015

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Sep 20 17:48:44 CEST 2015

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.

1) Blender 2.76 Release Candidate (RC)

- The RC is out, and more prominently offered on the website now:
  http://www.blender.org/download/
It might be confusing for people who want the release itself... but the reason to offer it prominent
is to get more people downloading and testing it. We should prevent having to do 'a' releases!

- Short discussion about what 'release candidate' actually means. Is it "stable", or "beta", is it better
than the previous release or should it be offered with warnings... no conclusions.

- Agreed is to do a RC2 mid this week - there were no big showstoppers reported though.

- A meeting visitor asks about the status of Blend4Web patches:
  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Projects/Blend4Web_proposals
We would like to see Blend4web developers to participate a bit more visible? Join us in irc!

2) Planning for next release and the 2.8 project

- Everyone feels like it's time for a bit of planning to get things going!

- Agreed is to refresh the module teams, activate and empower people again. Do a call for new members.
For some areas we might need new teams or mailing lists.

- The module teams could set up design teams (taskforces) to tackle the main issues: like
Viewport + shaders, UI + tools, Python API for editors/workflow, Physics/caching/modifier nodes, Game Logic

- Some people are concerned that discussions then get too shattered around, can't follow everything all the time.
It's a good point of attention to have quality communication with outside world (summaries, reports, logs).

- We also need help with organizing things, facilitating others - writing reports, meeting logs, reviews, papers.

- For the period until Blender Conference, Ton Roosendaal will coordinate the efforts. After that we hopefully have
more people empowered and at work!

Laters,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute