[Bf-committers] proposal: OpenGL cleanup in master

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sat Nov 21 22:16:50 CET 2015

As I understand it, with OpenGL 2.1  the minimum requirements would be
effectively:

* NVidia Geforce FX, Gerforce 6xxxx and newer (released in 2003)
* AMD Radeon R600+, Radeon HD, and newer (released in 2006)
* Intel HD graphics or newer (released in 2010), some older cards
might still work on OS X and Linux

Mainly users with older Intel GMA graphics would be affected. That
sounds reasonable to me but we are raising the hardware bar for
Blender 2.77 then, right?

I totally support doing this in master. Doing OpenGL refactoring in
big branches hasn't worked well in the past, better to do it
incrementally. I can help with some refactoring and code review.