[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - 17 May 2015

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun May 17 16:57:43 CEST 2015

Hi everyone,

Here are notes from today's 14h UTC meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.

1) Blender 2.75 release planning

- Everything that was planned is now in master! We are in official "BCon3" now.
  (Only fixing Blender)

- Dependency graph will get more docs. Here's a first draft already:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.75/Animation

- Same for Cycles OpenCL kernel split.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.75/Cycles

- We need more field reports from AMD users about what works!

- Thomas Dinges makes a Cycles feature diagram (outline which features work in what configs)

- Wednesday: Sergey Sharybin will do a call for a first testbuild release.

- Next week we'll review if we move to BCon4.

- Splash: Gooseberry team will make one. Meeting suggests to do a contest for 2.76 again,
will be decided later.

- Sound is working in Blender's animation player now, can this go to the 2.75 release as
bug fix? Quick review will follow to check on it.

2) Other projects

- Viewport project is still not progressing really well.
Partially it's because time is too much shattered from contributors, and partially because
there's still no commonly agreed on strategy or master plan design.

Ton Roosendaal suggests to add a dedicated viewport mailing list for people who want to be
active in the project and who are interested in it, and first settle on the big picture.
Details follow.

- Lukas Toenne about hair coding: the good news is that the strands data structure in
Gooseberry branch and the integration of the solver and new hair edit mode almost
constitutes a new hair system (not using the particle system). Still needs a new framework
how it fits in the creation pipeline. Work in progress.

- Bastien Montagne's filebrowser update will likely make it in 2.76.

- Martijn Berger restyled the buildbot page:
https://builder.blender.org/download/

Thanks,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute