[Bf-committers] Luminance patches

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 23:24:38 CET 2015

General +1 to de-duplicating here, was interested to resolve this a while back:
http://markmail.org/message/yzvfpndcpreqyqqf ~2012

Though I'd draw the line at removing them altogether as D1082
proposes, since not all colors in Blender go via our image/render
pipeline. (we have code dealing with on-screen colors, themes etc).

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Antony Riakiotakis <kalast at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas, agreed, I am also of the same opinion. It will hurt old
> files slightly but better now than never.
>
> On 17 February 2015 at 20:21, Thomas Beck <software at plasmasolutions.de> wrote:
>> Hi Antony,
>>
>> I'm for "fix it properly by breaking old files slightly". I (the artists
>> around me agree) prefer to let old files break (in terms of color
>> correction) when we get a working color pipeline with correct formulas in
>> exchange for it. I would really not like to see a wrong behavior carried on
>> endless times just to be compatible to infinity and beyond ;) .
>>
>> Greetings, Thomas
>>
>> Plasmasolutions
>> Design | Development | Training
>>
>> Website: Http://www.plasmasolutions.de <http://www.plasmasolutions.de/>
>> Blog: Http://blog.plasmasolutions.de <http://blog.plasmasolutions.de/>
>>
>> Telefon: +49 176 2017 9565
>>
>> Blender Foundation Certified Trainer
>> <http://www.blendernetwork.org/BFCT>Autor von "Blender 2.7 - das umfassende
>> Handbuch" <http://www.galileo-press.de/3404>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We have quite a few functions to select luminance in our code.
>>>
>>> Recently there were two patches to cleanup things.
>>>
>>> https://developer.blender.org/D1082
>>>
>>> https://developer.blender.org/D517
>>>
>>> Seeing how developers still use any of the two in the code and how
>>> there's really one correct formula for this it might be good to make
>>> some decision about this.
>>>
>>> Choises are - either we change this and break old files slightly or we
>>> keep it and we have wrong histograms, tools and compatibility with
>>> color management pipeline.
>>>
>>> I am curious about what coders and artists think about the change
>>> since it will influence both.

- Campbell