[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - August 2, 2015

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 10:24:12 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com> wrote:
> The full statement is:
>
> Reminder: anyone who wants to add something that affects users or other
> developers (APIs): always make a nice doc! *Before the commit* Even when
> you think it's not interesting (like optimizing). Blender work is
> interesting to share by default!
>
> Key part of the sentence: affects users or other developers (APIs)
>
> Commits which you listed doesn't affects users (other than making them
> happier) and doesn't affect other developers.

I was considering "making them happier", as effecting them too :)
(read "user visible optimizations").

This statement imply that devs have been remiss in not documenting
their optimizations.

For me this is still fuzzy - can anyone point to a couple of
optimizations should should have been documented but weren't?

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> > P.S. The commits you've mentioned above are mainly implementation details
>> > changes, they don't touch design as we know it. Only arguable thing is
>> the
>> > sculpt custom data commit, which on the one hand doesn't change anything
>> in
>> > the CustomData design and just makes it to use existing solutions form
>> > there, but on another hand shows that our CustomData area is rather
>> > mysterious area which you can't get into so much easy.
>>
>> Right, but they're optimizations, from the meeting notes, there is the
>> comment:
>>
>> > always make a nice doc! *Before the commit* Even when you think it's not
>> interesting (like optimizing).
>> > Blender work is interesting to share by default! :)
>>

> --
> With best regards, Sergey Sharybin

- Campbell