[Bf-committers] Release process

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 10:53:36 CEST 2014

Hi,

There's some confusion happened, so just wanted to clarify some stuff.

- We did not make a final release yet, seems Kent just was too fast on
making a release archive. Nothing critical i bet, but that confused our
friends from Debian.

- We do a blender-vVERSION-release branch at the RC stage. This is because
we unfreeze repository soon after the RC. We used to to tags, but they're
PITA to re-tag if we're discovering some last-minute missing commit. Now
we're using the branch and do tags once we're sure ll the builds are good.
This branch also helps backporting fixes since the RC for until the final
release is done.

- The name of the branch doesn't imply that we've got final release, it
only means the final release is getting baked there.

- Tag happens after the builds are up, so we don't mess up with re-tagging.

- The branch gets removed soon after the tagging is done, so we don't
clutter the branches list.

This is just to inform all the developers involved, so they know a bit
better the process.

Now, the proposal for Kent: what if i'll be mailing you once we're ready
for the final release archive? Should help solving confusion like this i
think.

P.S. Last time we've been a bit late on the sources archive, this time
we've compensated it by making archive a bit earlier :)
P.P.S. I've removed the 2.72 sources archive from the download site now.

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin