[Bf-committers] Credits Page

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 12:26:22 CEST 2014

Campbell, it could be possible to setup an export script as well, but imo
it's just some legacy workaround. We just need to be sure patches are
authored by the patch author when committing them. It happens automatically
when patch author and developer uses arc. For other cases you can use
--author command line argument. The only difficult thing here is that git
would expect an email address. Here are ways to deal with this:

- I've actually contacted phabricator developers about ways to know user's
address. Don't really think it's so much easy to do because of the security
issues.
- Check on the logs, author could have already submitted patches
- Ask author if he's fine sharing his email. perhaps that's #1 to do btw,
if he isn't fine then why to bother and just use some null at noreply mail

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Antonio Ospite <ao2 at ao2.it> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 18:49:20 +1000
> Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Kévin Dietrich
> > <kevin.dietrich at mailoo.org> wrote:
> > > I might sound harsh but I believe that to ease out this process, at
> > > least for the future, it could be time for the committers to actually
> > > commit with the author's name (git commit --author=insert_name) and
> drop
> > > the all "patch by someone" nonsense. If the guys taking care of the
> > > Linux kernel can do this with 20 times as much contributors as Blender,
> > > the Blender guys can do this.
> > >
> > > Commit etiquette, simple stuff.
> >
> > This is fine (with me) in principle.
> >
> > Do we have a quick way to get an exact `Some Name <email at addr.com>`
> > formatted ID for any patch submitter?
> >

> Have contributors themselves take care of their authorship identity,
> they can set it up with:
>
>         git config --global user.name "Some Name"
>         git config --global user.email email at addr.com
>
> and tell them to commit their changes and export patches with "git
> format-patch" to export this info too, you will apply these with just
> "git am" and then amend the commit message if necessary.
>
> People who care of showing up in the project history will be happy to
> go through these extra steps, and the workflow doesn't change much for
> you main developers.
>
> That's the git way of doing it.
>
> Ciao,
>    Antonio