[Bf-committers] Credits Page

Antonio Ospite ao2 at ao2.it
Sat Sep 13 20:03:12 CEST 2014

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 18:50:22 +0200
Paolo Acampora <palucam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Surely many people is left outside by the autogenerated system, I never
> thought it was a problem, after all the purpose of my contributions was
> never to just appear on the list, but I'm sure there are others, like me,
> mentioning their blender work in their resumes, and of course not being
> mentioned at all is not good PR.
>
> It would be nice to have an option for people to report their commits and
> ask to be enlisted.
>
> Regards,
> Paolo
>
> Paolo Acampora, palucam at gmail.com
> M +44 (0) 7474 009566
> Thecnical Director at MAD entertainment, Naples (Italy)

I can see the 17 commits by Harley with this command line in git:

	git log --grep "Harley Acheson"

If the search functionality was enabled on git.blender.org, a possible
way to list commits where someone is mentioned in the commit message
could be something like:

http://git.blender.org/gitweb/gitweb.cgi/blender.git?a=search&h=HEAD&st=grep&s=Harley+Acheson

but the grep operation in quite expensive so I am not sure if this is
acceptable for the blender infrastructure.

I do something similar to list my commits to other projects, but with
"st=author" which is less expensive.

However this assumes that committers cared to use:

	git commit --author="Author..."

to give proper attribution to external contributors, or used "git am"
on patches generated with "git format-patch".

Unlike SVN, git makes a distinction between the author and the committer
which makes sense for external contribution but it looks like blender
developers are mentioning the external contributor in the commit message
instead of using the dedicated author field, which makes the
information less consistent and a little harder to retrieve.

I tried to search for "Harley Acheson" in phabricator too but the
results are not very clear.

Ciao ciao,
   Antonio

--