[Bf-committers] Checkboxes in dropdown menus

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 06:06:21 CEST 2014

"Also I think its important menus have predictable outcome, so the user
can know what to expect without having to wave their mouse to get a
menu to vanish sometimes but not others."

	IMO (from a user perspective) it's a different kind of menu entirely.
	As such, I think it would be okay to have such menus behave
	differently.
	Though if such a change was made, perhaps the appearance of these
	kinds of menu could be changed in some way to help differentiate?

	I don't remember seeing any menus which have a mix of checkbox items
	and normal entries, but if there are (making my above idea useless),
	then perhaps only clicking a checkbox option will not close the menu,
	other normal options will close it..?

	If the user is confused, hopefully they will instinctively move the mouse,
	closing the menu.. :P

"Not that we should blindly follow others - but I checked some other
applications and they all close their menus when toggling options too
(firefox, qt-applications, gnome-applications)."

	I've also noticed this (at least with GIMP), and found it too rather
	annoying at times..

I'm certantly not a UI or UX expert, and know nothing about such things,
but I would be interested in hearing the opinion of one of the core UI designers :)

On 08/31/14 17:13, Campbell Barton wrote:
> This has come up before,
> http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-funboard/2014-March/005759.html
>
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 9:23 AM, gandalf3 <zzyxpaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In some places there are checkboxes inside dropdown menus, e.g. the
>> /Composition guides/ menu in camera settings.
>>
>> Clicking a checkbox in one of these menus will close the menu, making it
>> quite a pain to select or deselect multiple options, as the menu must be
>> re opened each time.
>> Would it be possible for this behavior to be improved?
>> Perhaps leaving menus with checkboxes open until there is a click
>> somewhere else?
>>

>> There is also some inconsistency with the way these seem to be used. The
>> composition guides allows more than one option to be selected, or even
>> no options to be selected.
>> The number of OpenGL render antialiasing samples must always have one
>> and only one option selected, yet it seems to use the same kind of menu.

-gandalf3