[Bf-committers] PowerDNS outage affecting blender.org servers

Dan McGrath danmcgrath.ca at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 11:26:28 CET 2014

Hi,

By now some of you may have noticed problems accessing Blender servers
which have been timing out on DNS lookups the last few hours. You can thank
Sergey Sharybin for sounding the alarm on DNS lookup problems, which upon
closer examination appears to be related to our DNS provider, PowerDNS:

  https://twitter.com/powerdns/status/440369721146220544

Since the TTL (time-to-live, or how long DNS is cached) on our records is
very low (around 5 or 6 minutes, iirc), you may experience longer than
usual delays, and/or errors while trying to access anything
blender.orgrelated until the problem is fixed. In fact, this email may
not reach you
until the problem is long past, in which case consider this email a
post-problem summary :)

Dan