[Bf-committers] can we update ffmpeg to have RTSP support?

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 21:31:56 CEST 2014

@Fasekas: we are wrapping some of the functionality directly from the
FFmpeg library so unless ffmpeg can do it I believe we can't. That's
besides the point though, why to reinvent the wheel if we are already
using a library that provides streaming.

@Sergey
> And maintain means communicate with the users in the tracker, making sure this stuff works in upcoming blender releases, invest time on fixing stuff when it becomes broken (and stuff tends to become broken in FFmpeg).

As I said in IRC I can commit to the Blender side of this (in this
particular subset of FFmpeg features). Meaning replying to tracker
entries and orienting clueless users. This will be used by BGE
anyways, so it won't affect Blender users in general. That said, even
with the backend RTSP support in the ffmpeg the feature is not fully
working. But I believe it's an issue in BGE code (more details in the
tracker).

> But seems we need to update FFmpeg anyway (because of https://developer.blender.org/T41065) so technically tweaking configuration flags is not that much an issue.

Anyways we support so many bizarre things (webcam!), I can't see this
going over whatever line we drawn. I think in cases like this we
should have reasons to not include things, not to include them (when
it comes to 'readers [decoders]'). Either way the reason/use case was
explained in the original email. I'm just not sure about the h264, if
this violates any GPL/patent thing.

Cheers,
Dalai
--