[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting, January 12, 2014

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Jan 12 17:17:26 CET 2014

Hi all,

Here's notes from today's meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.

1) Projects for 2.70

- Sergey Sharybin has a big commit waiting that fixes most of the reported regressions related to his work on threaded object updates.

- FBX woes: Autodesk is fading out the FBX version we use, attempts to support the newer versions (7.3/7.4) run into troubles because a lack of public specs. There's some hidden checksum that validates files - or so. Bastien Montagne and Campbell Barton work on it. Help welcome!

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Mont29/Foundation/FBX_File_Structure

- A lot of time was spent on finding out how to move on with UI work with adding 'tabs' in regions that have too many button panels. We'd like to get some minimal guidelines, so other module teams can handle tabs in their own editors. Jonathan Williamson  confirms this is a 2.70 target still, and he'll handle a guideline a.s.a.p.

- Tamito Kajiyama proposed to update the Freestyle API, but it would result in breakage for old scripts....
https://developer.blender.org/D163

- Meeting agrees on moving to "BCon 3" - the maintaineance/bugfix period, no new branches or big new features added. But we accept as exception the above two topics (freestyle, tabs).

2) Other projects

- New addon:
http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?323754-Addon-Edit-Addon-Sources-Operator

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute