[Bf-committers] Commit overload

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 00:54:45 CET 2014

Many small commits are fine IMHO if each one is doing some change which
stands on its own,
If they include edits on previous commits from the same patch-set, this
ends up being noise in our history and I'd rather see them squashed.
eg: 53ef7a9932e974ee3efb5e63b3757051c14f6635 but there were only 1-2 of
these.

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Jonathan Williamson
<jonathan at cgcookie.com>wrote:

> Ah great tip with --squash Dalai. Thanks!
>
> I was just learning about rebase -i, which is also very useful.
>
> Jonathan Williamson
> http://cgcookie.com
>

> On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Dalai Felinto <dfelinto at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You can do git merge --squash next time, that will make one commit out
> > of all the individual ones.
> >
> > Or git rebase -i HEAD~3 (or 10, ...) to group commits together)
> >
> > It's really a matter of deciding how relevant the individual logs are
> > for our git history.
> > --
> > blendernetwork.org/dalai-felinto
> > www.dalaifelinto.com
> >

> > 2014/1/3 Jonathan Williamson <jonathan at cgcookie.com>:
> > > Sorry about the commit overload just now. Will apply patches directly
> > > master instead of merging in the branch next time :)
> > >
> > > Jonathan Williamson
> > > http://cgcookie.com

- Campbell