[Bf-committers] 4 ideas for improving Vertex Group handling ...

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 11:49:35 CET 2014

Hi,

I had meant to reply to the earlier post on the bf-animsys list, but it
somehow ended up getting buried.

1) "Autoselect"
Sounds like a good idea.

I agree that keeping this as an option avoids the annoying side of this
option (i.e. keeping a group of vertices you've just removed from one group
selected so that you can easily reassign to the next one), while
simplifying this frequently encountered use case.

2) Select a vgroup also changes active bone
I can see how this could be useful, though I do have some reservations
about it.

In the interests of "convenient little timesavers" though, this probably
falls into the same category as selecting bones when the corresponding
action groups are selected. So, I guess it's OK...

3) Select multiple vgroups
I'm not sure about this one... Doing this is almost certainly going to open
up a whole can of worms.

What specific problems is this intended to solve? From the sounds of
things, it almost sounds like you really just want a "Delete all vgroups"
operator to quickly clear out everything between automatic vgroup binding
attempts...

4) Add a Falloff parameter for "Automatic weight from Bones"
When exactly would this be useful? Also, as I suggested earlier, what would
be the difference between this and allowing the bone envelopes feature to
somehow be used for this purpose?

Regards,
Joshua