[Bf-committers] Fluid dynamic areas for development?

Ronan Ducluzeau zeauron at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 10:43:25 CEST 2014

Blender's good old fluid simulation is explained on the wiki.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Physics/Fluid

Since 2.5, blender have SPH particles that acts like fluids with more
controls and freedom for artistic expression.
These particles are not hidden to user like in the old simulation and they
are really easier to tweak for unreal effects than control fluid object of
the old simulation.
http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2010/03/19/introducing-particle-fluids-parametters-function/

Unfortunately, there is no way to render these particles correctly.
There were attempts to create mesh surface with add-ons using metaballs,
abandonned patches for mesh creation or suggestions to render them as
volume material through point data texture.
But problem is always the same; the result is blobby. Thickness is the same
everywhere based on same size for all particles.
http://vimeo.com/32500699
http://vimeo.com/56813254

We need creation surface that takes into account fluid tension to stretch
mesh where there are few particles instead of neglecting them and creating
holes.

We have great particles, sensible to force fields, curve guides. It is easy
to give them any kind of shape or flow directions. They can act like mixing
fluids, elastic material.
But all this gret stuff  is useless if we cannot rendered them as a
smoothed mesh.