[Bf-committers] Question about external Blender interface

Toni Alatalo toni at playsign.net
Sat Apr 5 19:23:35 CEST 2014

i did this kind of thing a hundred years ago with py in the 2.25 game
engine or so. i think it will work in current normal blender ui
because i think there is now a way to hook a python function to be
called periodically.

in a periodically updated py func you can poll your socket for
incoming data in an async/non-blocking way. that way you can handle
input from external sources but still not block the main ui.

python 3 seems to have a nice looking revised lib for that,
https://docs.python.org/3.4/library/asyncio.html#module-asyncio . back
in the ancient bge experiment i think i used just the basic socket
api's select(). otherwise when doing this recently in a different app
i used the Circuits Python library but I bet that asyncio is simple
and nice with py 3 now.

so given that you can hook blender to call your network-reader
periodically it should be straightforward - i can try to help if there
are trouble with the async socket reading. i wouldn't go via any DB
system for things similar to mouse dragging & button clicks.

~Toni