[Bf-committers] BMesh, EditBMesh, EditDerivedBMesh, and CD layers…

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sat Oct 19 02:18:33 CEST 2013

Hi Bastien,

The problem is that we have two ways of storing customdata. For
regular Meshes each layer will be stored in its own array with size
equal to the number of elements. For BMEditMeshes each element stores
its own data from all layers in a little memory block.

For Meshes it's quite easy to add a layer with CustomData_add_layer,
as it will just allocate the array. For BMEditMeshes this is more
complicated and would involve resizing all element memory blocks.
Calling CustomData_add_layer will not do this. For this particular
case I would also not suggest to add things that way.

If you look at the definition of EditDerivedBMesh, you can see it has
a number of arrays like vertexCos, vertexNos, polyNos and polyCos.
That's probably the right place to add this normal layer, as an array
there, rather than storing it as a customdata layer. This may not be
ideal, but I don't know of a simpler solution at the moment. You
aren't actually allowed to modify the BMEditMesh in EditDerivedBMesh,
so you can't resize the little memory blocks for each loop (and it
would be too slow anyway).

Brecht.