[Bf-committers] Helper git hooks

Julien RIVAUD (_FrnchFrgg_) frnchfrgg at free.fr
Tue Nov 26 11:18:54 CET 2013

Le 26/11/2013 09:01, Sergey Sharybin a écrit :
> Hey everyone,
>
> We're still encountering unwanted changes to the submoduels even so i
> published information about how to avoid this :(
>
> For those who're on linux (OSX might work as well tho) here're hooks
> which would help avoid submodules change accidents [1]
Why wouldn't you enforce such things on the server side ?

Maybe with a system that let commits pass through if they are
Signed-Of-By any of {Brecht, Campbell, Sergey, Ton} ? (Same for merge
commits and almost any other enforced rule)

Of course, having developper-side hooks helps because it is less than
ideal to notice you goofed at push time instead of commit time...
> - pre-commit will prevent commit if you've got staged changes to submodules
> - prepare-commit-msg will put information about changed submodules to
> a commit message template.
That last one is temporary I think, git devs want to make git display
that information by default and consider current behaviour is a bug, IIUC.

FrnchFrgg