[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code 2013

Jed jedfrechette at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 01:24:33 CET 2013

I would love to see Blender provide more support for working with measured
real-world scene geometry, e.g lidar or photogrammetry. My company would be
happy to provide examples of both types of data as well as technical support
for such a project.

Specifically, I think there are three areas that could use improvement:

Texturing of complex, and potentially dense, meshes. Right now the ability
to do this is largely limited by the ability to get a decent UV map.
Although Blender's tools for working with relatively small UV maps are quite
good once maps become too large and complex to manage by hand problems
inevitably arise. It seems like the only real solution to this is to skip
UVs and add ptex support. I know some work was done on this during SOC 2010
but there doesn't seem to have been any news for the last 2 years.

Better particles, I seem to remember that this is being worked on and doing
it right requires Python Nodes. I'll just note that in the context of
real-world measurements the most useful application would probably be using
a partio data cache (derived from a lidar scan or dense stereo matching) in
the view port as reference for modeling or camera tracking, or possibly
baking on to a mesh.

Which, brings me to the third area, view port performance. Ignoring
low-level rendering optimizations, having a level of detail system for
showing lower resolution proxies when the user is interacting with the scene
would make working with dense models much more manageable. It would also
probably make plenty of users with less powerful graphics cards happy.

I'll also add a +1 for taking a look at the usability of texture painting. I
was trying to explain Blender's workflow to someone the other day and
started realizing how convoluted it is.

Best,

--
Jed Guys