[Bf-committers] Material/TexFace cleanup round 2 for texture painting

Keith Boshoff wahooney at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 13:26:04 CEST 2013

As one that doesn't use texture painting often myself, but has a stable of
artists that do, I can definitely agree that the current method is too
complicated and prone to human error and calls to yours truly to "Make it
not be broken anymore! Now!". From my people's perspective being able to
paint on multiple textures at once is not a huge deal, in fact none of my
guys can recall ever using it. Something that will do a lot of good though
is that whatever is decided on it should work the same way for texture
baking and there is a benefit to baking to multiple textures (one per baked
mesh).

Also, might I suggest a per object (or mesh) uv/image pair instead of doing
in a per material texture basis? How would you wrangle the different images
on a per material basis? Would you choose to paint to the specific map
type? Or would there simply be an anonymous enumeration of images and the
texture coordinate space they use?

Random thoughts, I hope it helps somehow!