[Bf-committers] GL_SELECT

Jason Wilkins jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 09:01:06 CEST 2013

I was thinking I would experiment and implement multiple replacements for
using OpenGL selection mode.

There seem to be three prime candidates:

Color index picking
Occlusion query picking
Ray picking

Color index picking is probably the easiest since it isn't much different
than GL_SELECT

Psy-Fi did an implementation of Occlusion query picking.  I'd like to know
why that wasn't followed up on.

Ray picking might have been complex due to all the different kinds of
geometry Blender draws, but because of the immediate mode replacement code
in my branch, everything is kept in a buffer.  It might even be possible to
do drawing and picking in a single pass! (meaning geometry is copied to the
buffer only once, leading to better cache usage).

Might also be possible to do picking asynchronously by passing buffers off
to a separate thread for picking after they are drawn.

Any other ideas about picking?