[Bf-committers] colored wireframe patch

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Jan 10 12:43:39 CET 2013

Hi,

User defined colors are nice, but best is to add a system that keeps existing and future use of color in control. Color is a UI metaphor, and should be handled with care.

We currently use color for two main functional reasons:

1) State (active, selected)
2) Type (linked data, group membership, ...)

In order to preserve functionality, and to extend that usefully, I suggest to make this system configurable - via a "Color Rule Editor".

Basically that editor would consist of these parts;

- A fixed palette of colors
Each color 'index' can have three values, for unselected, selected or active. You can mix a nice set of colors that distinguish well, and fit your theme as well.

- The rule editor
This is an editable list of (builtin, or python Expression) based rules, which you can connect to a Palette number. The default rules can be "From linked library" and "Group Member". With as last rules "Object has own color" and "Use standard colors".

The rule editor can be part of userprefs, and even allow multiple sets of rules. Depending on what you do, you then can make 3d view drawing help you visualizing what's going on, nice for debugging purposes as well.

The editor can also be used for Bones of course, and/or extended to editmodes even.

- Object/Bone properties
A new option to quickly select a color from the Palette list.

Here's the big problem - wireframes are becoming a bit clumsy in "modern" 3D UIs. It's really something from the 90ies... and with all fancy realtime rendering people use every day, this wire color feature is not working well anymore.

Therefore we should also invent new paradigms for marking state or type info in such 3D views. For example with compositing effects, brightness, fades, sobel outlines, overlays, etc.

-Ton-