[Bf-committers] List the nodes of Frame with API

Bartek Skorupa (priv) bartekskorupa at bartekskorupa.com
Sun Jan 6 22:00:40 CET 2013

I was dealing with this issue when working on "Nodes Efficiency Tools": http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=33543&group_id=153&atid=467
In the current version I don't set parents, but I certainly will want to be able to do it.

The workaround I came up with is as follows:

Say you have a node 'frame'. It has children. Say we have a list of them and it's a list called 'children'.
Now we want some node outside this frame to be "parented" to it. (Let's call it 'my_node')
What I'd do would be:
Remove 'frame', but first I'd store it's name, label and maybe some other parameters, then select all of it's children (for node in children: node.select = True), plus 'my_none' (my_node.select = True) and use bpy.ops.node.join() operator.
This will create new FRAME node and all of the selected nodes will become its children. Then you may set some previously stored parameters of removed 'frame'.
When using operators for nodes you have to mind the context, so it will not work from the console level or simple scripts run from text editor.

This is however a workaround and I'd really appreciate if it was possible to simply say node.parent = frame

Bartek Skorupa

www.bartekskorupa.com