[Bf-committers] Linux package maintainers

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 01:33:21 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Prashant Sohani
<prashant.sohani at gmail.com> wrote:
> While a loader that directly downloads from blender.org could be more
> convenient for the end user, I think that is not necessarily the most
> important concern of the distro maintainers.. rather, they want bundled
> libraries to move out of source as much as possible, some of their reasons
> being along the lines mentioned at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries#Why_no_Bundled_Libraries.
>  Apart from which, the article and comments at
> http://lwn.net/Articles/378865/ seem to make strong suggestions either way.
>
> On the whole, in the interest of code reusability (which in my opinion is
> an important principle in FOSS, even in the face of 'apparent'
> impracticality) and security, perhaps we could externally link some of the
> more standard libraries, without sacrificing end-user convenience too much?
> (No idea which ones those would be, though.. not even sure if such are
> there)
>
> Regards,
> Prashant

Just committed a cmake option 'WITH_SYSTEM_BULLET' so distros can use
their own bullet packages (as the gentoo maintainer requested),

So I think the changes from our side are done, just need to have
bullet updated since it doesn't compile yet with latest stable bullet
in arch-linux (2.81).
(note I did get it to compile with some edits to our source, but those
are just to disable a few areas that failed).

The CMake options documented not to work yet and marked as advanced to
avoid enabling by accident.

--
- Campbell